Monday 2 January 2012

A Mission Statement

I feel that an introduction is necessary here.

My name is Eddie Johnston, and I am a biologist. At least, I am a student of biology. I'm in my third year of study at the University of Kent.

One of my favourite areas of biology, and to an extent science in general, is the science of immortality. It's incredible to see how in the last hundred or so years, we have dramatically increased life expectancy, by doubling and now almost tripling our natural life span.

Increasing our life span is a result of a combination of different factors. Better medicines prevent common disease from killing us. A better understanding of nutrition has improved our diets, making us healthier. Our society has changed, providing us with the food we need to survive at our convenience. We, as a species, have beaten nature at its own game.

But that's not the end of the battle. Regardless of how far we have stretched our lives out, humans eventually succumb to death. Whether it be through disease, accidents or simply old age, one way or the other life always comes to close. But recent scientific research is beginning to change that.

Over the coming weeks and months, I'm going to be looking at immortality science. Starting with the basic principles of ageing, I intend to go on to look at current research being done to prevent death through age, and finally look at where science may take us in the future. Along the way, I'll be taking time to look at the social and ethical implications brought on by the prospect of immortality.

So, let's get started.

No comments:

Post a Comment